Sunday, July 1, 2007

Team A responses

Below are the 2 responses I received from Group A.... But before I get to that I wanted to post my understanding of the fact finder/error checker tool (idea 3), this is cut from my reply to the groups responses:

"But the way I interpreted the idea is that it
is a news website just like cnn or whatever, but when you click on a headline
to read a story you receive a story that is made up of all the information that
several credible news agencies have. Let me give you an example. During the
2002 Afghan war CNN quoted Pentagon officials who said that b-52s dropped
dozens of precision targeted bombs in the Tora Bora area in an attempt to flush
out Osama Bin Laden. At the same time the BBC reported the story but also added
in the detail that bombs had killed over 115 people in the village of Karma
Ado. Using the tool/website proposed in our idea, you would click on the
headline about the bombing and it would generate a story using the information
unique to CNN's report as well as the information unique to the BBC's report.
This would not only provide readers with all possible information about a story
but it would also provide you multiple perspectives on a story. "


do you guys think this expanded explanation gives a better sense of the idea?
Anyway, to the responses:

1st Response:
Information overload: You're right about how original/innovative and therefore project appropriate it is. Check out this site: http://www.zreportage.com/. It's like a photo essay/story, and reminds be a lot of your idea. One way to differentiate might be to add audio? I think one way which your idea differs, a strong point on your end, is the inclusion of more multimedia. The idea of commentary strengthens this project's idea of community/participatory journalism. I like the idea but a.) agree there are things too similar to it out there and b.) can tell you're not sold on it, which means it's going to be hard to sell to someone else.
Social Network News Categorization System: To be honest, I don't understand this explanation of this project. Is it adding a "hard" news application to social networking sites? If so, this was one of my ideas, and I'm all for it. But I can't tell if this is what you're talking about or not. I like how you intend to gear it to the interests of you and your friends, and the fact that it has commentary. I'm not so sure, however, about only seeing the comments of people in your community. Isn't that almost censoring what you are seeing? And what about people who comment on story because they are in one community, but a friend can't what they were responding to because it was from a different community? Seems to me to be a lot of room for confusion. And can you be a member of more than one community (like you can join more than one Facebook network, for instance)?
Online fact check, etc tool: I guess my question for this one is the tool name didn't correspond with the explanation. I was imagining it as something that looked for plagiarism within papers (or even stories) and I know tons of those in the academic arena. But is this tool voice interpretation? So if a source gives a story to more than one journalist, or you get more than one story from the same source, you can tell if what they are saying is accurate. Kind of like the theory behind a lie detector test? I think there is too much responsibility on the journalist here. I guess that's my understanding, but again, correct me if I'm wrong.
Locational news: I like this idea. Like you say, news is already largely based on location, but this uses your actual location, not just where you originate from. What I mean by that is if you're on vacation, you might still tend to read your news from back home (especially with online newspapers) versus going in picking up the local paper. This is even more true if you're looking for the national news aspect. There isn't a lot of explanation here, so I don't have a lot of feedback, but I'm definitely in agreeance that it's more geared toward PDA/cell phone type devices. It's also something that has come up in several groups, which leads me to think there might be something like it out there.
Mood simulator: The explanation here says there would be more information to come on this since it wasn't fully developed, so I didn't know where that was at? I like the idea behind this a lot, and it is something that can be applied to more than once site, versus your project being totally devoted to a single site. I think this is a good idea because it is applicable with both hard news and entertainment-based news. And maybe this could go beyond news ... maybe it could actually be applied to your browser. On a MUCH MUCH more basic level, I was just thinking how Yahoo! tends to "accessorize" its home page with animations, etc. during holidays, seasons, etc.. Something to think about beyond the news front. I'd be interested to read what has been come up with if it's been further developed.
That's all for now. I hope this helps. Sorry if my lack of technological ability inhibited me from really delving into your ideas, but I'm definitely tried my best. You guys have some really creative ideas ... and some other groups haven't mentioned yet in my browsing, so you're on the track to originality and innovation.

2nd Response


1. First of all, I am very confused about this idea. Basically, instead
of video, it would be still photos of the event with a
narrator/reporter telling the story? Maybe I don’t fully understand
this idea, but I don’t think it’s terribly new or original. You also
have to ask yourself, what problem is this solving? To me, this is
already being done with traditional news and the only difference is
that it would be photos, instead of video, and the graphics (maps)
would be interactive.
2. This reminds me of a Facebook news application. I could see this
working if it were attached to a social networking site that’s already
got an established audience. As a stand-alone idea, I don’t know if it
would work very well. The idea of each person filtering the news so
they only got what they wanted is, in my opinion, where news needs to
go. People really only want to read what’s relevant to them.
3. It’s an interesting idea, but who is your audience? It may only
appeal to journalists and scholars. So this would be like taking 2
different stories about the same event, written by two different
papers, and doing like a side-by-side comparison of facts? Yeah, I’m
not sold on this one…
4. The idea of using RSS feeds to get local news on your cell phone or
any internet-accessible device is good. It pretty simple, it makes me
wonder if it’s being done already? My group had a sort of similar idea.
Again, this idea needs more development.
5. This idea is different. I don’t know how revolutionary it is, but it
would be a different way to communicate the news. It would make it a
little more cinematic and dramatic, but what problem is it really
solving? Are you trying to make the reader emotionally compelled to
read the story? If that’s the case, I wonder if the “straight facts”
type of writing that we do in news would vibe well with the “dramatic”
visual representation you are talking about?

I know this sounds pretty critical; I am just having a hard time
understanding your ideas. I think your group should narrow the focus of
these ideas and try to solve a particular problem, while still making
it compelling and relevant. Sounds easy, right? Good luck and I can’t
wait to hear what your group decides in August!

1 comment:

micah said...

Idea one
I think you should a key word in this that turns me off to the idea. " slide show" I'm not sure what kind of images you can bring to the table that would be better than video. Or write to it was happening better than seeing what's happening. The only reason I would see this working is it some I was at work. And had to keep a low profile but still wanted to watch the news.

Idea two
Very interesting. A fundamental problem with this concept is the assumption that information derived from my my space or face book page can become more reliable source port interest and world news. example I raise dogs all my life I've showed them and really appreciate what they have to offer but I'm not too interested with the humane society or peta has to say and general. If one was to find a way to do this, it could prove to be very valuable.

Idea three
This is a great idea I think you're very aware of potential problems I can't think of any more.

Idea four
I think that this is a really good idea. When I first read your idea of stores and I thought about was a touch screen that you look down on. Maybe if it's kind of expanding on the idea but it would be cool if you could kind of spin the map back and forth similar to how the I pod phone works. I'm also not sure how accurate or reliable real time traffic is. But overall this is a really cool idea.

Idea five
I think the idea is simple enough and could be a great addition to existing web sites but I don't think it holds water by itself. Music color and graphics can definitely change the mood of a story. But I think that the mood should be determined by the reader.

great ideas
micah mcallister